Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I Have Died and Gone to Five Star Heaven

I rarely stay in hotels of this class, but am so glad I chose the Westbury for my last three nights. (Especially after the too-firm beds and foam pillows I endured in Galway, which are torture on my old back and neck injuries.  I was in misery all morning, even on Advil.)

The Perfect End to my Ireland journey.

(Click photos to enlarge.)



The Westbury



A hot towel for my face and hands at reception (my return -- their presentation was much better than my folding.)  I was also asked which newspapers I would like delivered every morning (free, of course) and I chose the Irish Independent and the New York Times.  (I could get used to this!)



No styrofoam cups here.


Proper coffee.


For a proper coffee machine.



Oh my.  (Water's complimentary, not the other goodies.)  I might break down and drink the champagne in the back...



Ahh....




A phone by the loo (or whatever they call it in Ireland.)  No yelling to the stall next to you for toilet paper.  I guess you just ring reception for it.





Warm towels, anyone?



Even drawers in the vanity!  And a scale underneath.  (Not on your life, mister.)



The base of the tub/shower is cherry, like the rest of the wood in the room.  Oh my.



View from my room.



Just what I need after being in the Galway house alone!



No taxis, no buses, just step out the door and you are in the midst of it!



Heaven!  A soft, cushy bed and wonderful feather pillows!



Even crown moulding.



Beautiful, traditional doors.



Flat screen on the wall.



Media hub, 220V outlet and 120V outlet!  Wow!



Finally!  A clock on the nightstand!  None of our other hotels had clocks, which we thought so odd.  Neither did the Galway house.  Can't figure that out.  Love the little reading spotlight!




Unpacked, famished.  No breakfast or lunch, so afternoon tea at 4PM will be it.  Waiting in the bar for a window seating to free up.  Gotta do it right!




The first floor reception area and Tea Room.






My waiting place in the bar.




The deep chairs and sofas in the Tea Room will do in my back, and no tables have opened up by the windows (their chairs look comfy) so I have asked for my afternoon tea to be served in the bar area.  I'm ecstatic to have Americano coffee with "pouring cream" at last!



First the sandwiches.



And halfway through, I am told a window seating in the Tea Room has become available, so I move.  This is my lovely view.  I watched a brief rain shower and then the sun came out.



Finishing the sandwiches.







Then pastries and scones.



Close up of the pastries.  They are really small, though they appear huge here (camera angle.)  Only three bites each.  The mini chocolate cream puff (foreground) was amazing.



I am stuffed!  The sandwiches and pastries were so small, and I only had one bite of one scone, because (1) I don't like scones but (2) I wanted to try clotted cream.  Yummy!  So why am I so full? Could it be the three bowls of Americano and one hot chocolate I had?  I need to go lie down.  (And what's with that spoon?)



Ahhh.



Looking out my window from my bed.



A dove in the mirror.  Okay, okay, I think it's really some kind of gull.  But a dove would be a nice end to the day.


It's 8PM.



It's 9PM.


I'm going to love Dublin.

(And did I mention the nightly bed turn-down with chocolates?  Dark chocolates.)








No comments:

Post a Comment