Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Food in Ireland: The Disgusting and the Delectable

All about food.  

This post is a compilation of some of the food of Ireland.  Some of my own photos.  Some gathered from the web, when I'd either forgotten to snap pics or didn't have any of the food mentioned in this post.

(Click on photos to enlarge.)

First, a word about their bacon, which I found unappealing, at least by sight.  (Chari and I bought some and she cooked it and said it tasted fine.  It looked so disgusting to me, I couldn't muster even a bite.)  This is what back bacon is, according to Wikipedia:

"Back bacon is a traditional British cut of bacon sliced to include one piece of pork loin and one piece of pork belly combined into the same cut.  The name refers to the cut of meat, which includes meat from the loin (or back) and distinguishes it from other bacon made exclusively from pork belly or other cuts.  Like other bacon, back bacon can be brined, cured, boiled, or smoked.  It is much leaner than American style bacon made only from the belly."


Okay, so I like a lot of fat.  Call me American.


Back bacon is the stuff on the lower right.  See what I mean?  I'll take our fat-laden, neat little strips, cooked extra crispy, thank you.




Typical Full Irish Breakfast

So this is a typical full Irish breakfast.  I've gotten it twice.  And I only eat the eggs, one sausage, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms and toast.  Maybe some of the beans, but I'm usually too full.


I don't even want that disgusting bacon on my plate.


Here are some other typical Irish breakfast items I won't touch and ask not to be delivered with the rest of the food:


Black pudding and white pudding.   Black pudding is sausage made from blood, meat, fat, oatmeal, and bread or potato fillers.  White pudding is the same as black pudding minus the blood. 

 No thanks.



But most places we've eaten seem to include some kind of "Chicken Supreme."  Here are examples of that variations of that dish, which I've liked very much:






I've been searching everywhere for either chocolate pie (most Irish are very puzzled by that and we've not found any anywhere) or flourless chocolate cake, another item that causes lots of bewilderment.  Well, I've finally discovered what we call flourless chocolate cake, they call "fondant."  And oh my God, theirs is so rich!


Brought this home from Bewley's today.  The whipped cream didn't really make it well, but the fondant was delectable!










No comments:

Post a Comment