Thursday, August 21, 2014

Grafton Street Area

Grafton Street is Dublin's main shopping street.  There are many high end shops I wouldn't even walk into (not really into labels -- or high prices) but there are also lots of mainstream stores and restaurants and cafes.  And street performers.  And crowds.  Just what I wanted after being alone in the Galway house for four days and having to take a taxi or bus every time I left.

So yesterday, I headed out from the hotel, up Grafton Street to the bank to get some more euros, around Trinity College (scenes of Educating Rita flooding my memory) and back down Dawson Street past St. Ann's, the church seen from my first hotel room window, ending up at St. Stephen's Green.

I spent a few hours just strolling this little area, popping in and out of shops, finding little grandchildren gifts, and taking photos.  I ended the afternoon by having a late (late like 3PM late) breakfast at Bruxelle's, the pub right out the door of my hotel.


(Click photos to enlarge)


Flower vendors on Grafton in front of the Westbury, my hotel



Diverse dress and tongues on the streets in Europe.



And street performers everywhere.



Be a leprechaun and have your picture taken...I was "this" close but didn't.



Used to be the white statue people everywhere, now it's the black statue people.



With pigeons.











Entering Trinity College.  Remembering scenes from Educating Rita.







Love the yellow bike.



The Library at Trinity.  The Book of Kells line was long, so I may try it today.  But I have seen awesome slides of it back in my college art history days.  I know it isn't the same as in person, but I'm not sure if I want to spend half an hour in line.  I'm more about the people and lifestyle than the sights these days.



The Farm restaurant -- organic and straight from the local farm to the table.  (The horse and carriage was a lucky photobomb.)



A bookstore to wander around in.



This gentleman and I kept stepping into each other's paths inside.  When I finally asked, "May I have this dance?" he laughed.



More outdoor eateries, more flowers, more bikes.  Ah, Europe.



St. Ann's Church



And an overseer of the streets.



Hidden shopping pathways.



Interesting.





Pay phones!  (Sitting in a van behind this were four guys I didn't see until I passed them.  They were laughing, so I said, "Hey, we don't have any pay phones in the States anymore."  One returned, "I said I bet she's taking a photo of the phone."  But it all sounds neater in an Irish accent.)



Gelato.  Lots of it.



Ooops, didn't mean to get into that shot.



More flower vendors.



Mmmm, I don't know.  I think it's a ploy for financing European travel.  ;)



Entertaining the kids.



Shopping Center.



The Gaiety Theater behind my hotel.  Riverdance performs here.





St. Stephen's Green, Grafton Street entrance.



Fearless.  The birds, I mean.



Around the green.



I always feel sorry for horses who have to do this.  It just doesn't seem fair.

















Heading back for a late breakfast.



Bruxelle's, dating back to the 1800's.  Of Phil Lynott fame (from Thin Lizzy and "The Boys Are Back in Town.")





It was his birthday that day and there were expected to be big crowds in the pub that night celebrating.









I prefer off-hours.  No crowds.  No wait.





My waiter/doorman.  Sweet kid.



And a hop, skip, and jump to my hotel entrance.




And a break before tonight's Musical Pub Crawl (touted as a "don't-miss" by Rick Steves.)  



No comments:

Post a Comment